Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tiffany Ouyang



           Religious people are hypocrites and they steal your money through tithing. Or, at least that’s what I had thought when I was younger. This belief diminished a little over time when I was sent to a Christian private school where I was first introduced to God. After I graduated college, I moved to New York hoping to work in the fashion industry. I devoted everything to my job, and I became obsessed with success. My ambition ended up hurting me more than helping, however, and I became secluded, self-absorbed, and self-preserving. 
I knew that I was becoming judgmental and nasty, but try as I may I could only focus on myself and reaching success. What finally made me turn to God was when I kept hitting this wall where I was never satisfied and knew there had to be more to life than just ambition. Christ gave me the hard but necessary doses of truth about living a life bigger than myself. I was no longer the center; God was. It wasn’t about striving for my own life anymore, but about living out of Christ’s generosity and love. 
Because God was so giving to me, blessing me with a job right after college and giving me purpose and love, I am motivated to choose the direction of the gospel instead of the direction of the world. Tithing was an important step for me, which God used to teach me generosity. Although success can still be very tempting, I know that it’s not about me anymore. Instead, I want my life to glorify God, where the credit really belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment